Outlaw Ron Bass passes away at age 68
Posted: Mar 8th 2017 By: Dave Meltzer
Ronald Heard, who wrestled regularly in almost every major promotion from 1973 to 1989 as "Outlaw" Ron Bass, passed away Tuesday at the age of 68.
Bass suffered a burst appendix, but didn't realize the seriousness of his condition. He waited a week before getting checked out and because of waiting so long, the poison overcame his body and he passed away.
He had been scheduled for an autograph show over this past weekend and the word was that he was hospitalized.
Bass started his career as Ronnie Heard, but became Ron Bass in a tag team with Don Bass, who also recently passed away, while working for Nick Gulas in Tennessee in 1973. He was a powerful looking man (think Bill Watts although he was not the level of a star that Watts was).
He worked in Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida before being a headliner as Sam Oliver Bass in Oregon. He then came to California where he held the Americas tag team titles on multiple occasions.
He had his biggest main event success in Florida. He first came in as the childhood best friend of Dusty Rhodes and later turned on him, leading to a long feud with Rhodes and Barry Windham.
Bass and Stan Hansen also had a one week run as International tag team champions, winning and losing the belts against Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta.
He later formed tag teams with One Man Gang and Black Bart. Bass & Bart held championships in both Florida and for Jim Crockett Promotions.
He ended his career with a 1987-89 run in the WWF, feuding with the likes of Junkyard Dog and Brutus Beefcake.
Heard was one of the 60 plaintiffs in the current lawsuit against WWE regarding concussions.
Jeff Jarrett to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2018
Four-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett is the latest inductee announced for the WWE H... Read More
- Rumors and reports of Jeff Jarrett going into WWE Hall of Fame surface
- Tulsa judge marries dozens of couples on Valentine's Day
- New Witness? Man Claims to Have Seen "Boys on the Tracks" Murders
- Ric Flair calls out Ronda Rousey: fight my daughter!
NEWS With the new Andre the Giant HBO documentary premiering on April 10th, just two days after WrestleMania 34, [url=http://www.pwinsider.com]PWInsider.... Read More
WWE legend Jim Ross on Royal Rumble, the Eagles, the success of his book, and more
In what will prove to be one of the most electric weekends of the year in the city of Ph... Read More
- Tim Storm: The Shindigmusic Interview
- Tim Storm: NWA’s Top Man
- NWA Champion Tim Storm on Working With Billy Corgan, Future of the Company
- Ric Flair Ain't Dead Yet
Most Active Members
- Michael York
- The Mayne Event
- ASP · Feb 18th 2018 · Oklahoma City
- UWE · Feb 17th 2018 · Tahlequah
- MSWA · Feb 9th 2018 · Oklahoma City
- ComPro · Feb 3rd 2018 · Tulsa
- WFC · Feb 3rd 2018 · Claremore
- UWE · Jan 27th 2018 · Tahlequah
- MSWA · Jan 21st 2018 · Oklahoma City
- BPPW · Jan 20th 2018 · Bristow
- WFC · Jan 20th 2018 · Owasso
- ASP · Jan 14th 2018 · Oklahoma City