JR's Blog: New, JR's Blog, Waterloo, RINGSIDE to D.C., NYC, & BOSTON, WWE Battleground, @mitchellpwtorch to Ross Report, Headlock on Hunger
Posted: Jul 25th 2017 By: Jim Ross
Greetings everyone and thanks for coming visiting our site. Lots of ground to cover so we shall cease in the burning daylight...
The annual trip to Waterloo. Iowa to participate in the festivities at the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame banquet and affiliated activities. This event is so fan friendly and affordable but is arguably one of the best kept secrets within the pro wresting community. @WWE helped promote the event by booking talents to be there including Chad Gable, Jason Jordan, Gerald Brisco and yours truly which is greatly appreciated. The team at the Dan Gable Museum are top shelf and great to work with and I can't encourage fans enough to visit Waterloo and, specifically, the Hall of Fame weekend.
We will be recording a new, Ross Report podcast tonight (Monday) after RAW from D.C. Pro Wrestling Torch's Bruce Mitchell will join me to talk about the news of the day including our mutual weekend in Waterloo at the Dan Gable Museum and the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame.
Bruce is a life long pro wrestling fan and has been contributing to the Torch's success for years. The native of North Carolina is a fun and informed guest that you will enjoy.
Please take a moment to subscribe for FREE to the Ross Report podcast at @ApplePodcasts and you will then never miss a show as they will be automatically downloaded into the device of your choosing every Tuesday night at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT.
Please spread the word of our podcast with your friends and other fans of the pro wrestling genre. Thanks to all who support our efforts at www.podcastone.com.
Lots of feedback coming in on social media, i.e. @JRsBBQ on Twitter, regarding Sunday night's WWE presentation of Battleground. Not many entities have more passionate and outspoken fans than does pro wrestling headed by the biggest dog in the yard, @WWE.
I appreciated the work rate of the men and women who participated on the event from Philly as that's always the start for me, effort/work rate.
Any time two major, main event level matches have little to no 'near falls' included due to the structure of their match i.e. the Punjabi Prison bout and the Flag Match, it's a risky premise.
I'm still not sure that I could pass a quiz on the rules of the Punjabi Prison match which had challenging sight lines for TV through all the bamboo, etc. Those basic challenges can make it hard for the live audience to emotionally invest.
While I admire and respect the passion of 'rasslin fans, I can only hope that they are as passionate about the more significant things in their lives as they are about show biz athletics. This may be like the 'pot' calling the 'kettle' black, too, I will readily admit. I've been as guilty as most in this department.
Enjoyed the AJ-Owens bout but was expecting a bit more from two of my favorite athletes currently in the business. The match was far from 'bad' but it was lacking a bit of 'magic,' for the lack of a better term or description. Nonetheless if I was starting a 'territory' I'd love to have them both on any roster that I would comprise.
Surprised that Nattie won the women's bout but not displeased. Many fans are complaining that Charlotte did not win but that was not a concern for me as its simply a matter of getting more talents, in this case Nattie, better ready for higher profile bookings.
Charlotte is 'ready' whether she won Sunday night or not but Charlotte needs more, viable opponents going forward and Nattie, for one, can certainly fill that void.
Been asked to comment on various ongoing storylines within the world of professional grappling but I find that exercise somewhat futile because I don't know, luckily, where storylines are going with any company. Furthermore, I don't need nor do I want to know. I find it more enjoyable for me, as a fan, to simply follow along and to evaluate or opine once adequate info is on the table and not mere speculation. Case In point, I've seen at least a dozen mock, Summer Slam cards being bandied about online which means what?
I'll evaluate the Summer Slam card once I see it finalized and can make a more valid assessment of the event AFTER it has happened.
Remember that our RINGSIDE with Jim Ross Shows are nearing including Thursday August 10 at the @DCImprov and tickets are on sale there in a limited number at www.dcimprov.com.
Also, we kickoff Summer Slam weekend at the Gotham Comedy Club in NYC on Friday night August 18 and tickets are available now at www.gothamcomedyclub.com.
Tickets for our first ever RINGSIDE Show in Boston, which is on Saturday afternoon December 16 at Laugh Boston, go on sale Tuesday August 1 at www.laughboston.com.
All our shows feature uncensored Q&A's plus a litany of stories from my perspective of having been in the biz for over 40 years in a variety of roles including many at at the highest level.
Headed back to LAX next week to record more voiceovers for AXSTV's NJPW Friday night TV show with my broadcast partner @JoshLBarnett. Thinking that it will likely be a more positive experience than my last Cali trip was for wrestling.
New Japan on @AXSTV Friday nights is another one of those little 'secrets' of the genre of TV wrestling, IMO. We will soon be getting into the current G1 bouts which will be fun to broadcast from what I'm hearing. I will watch these bouts for the first time when we call them in the studio.
Check out www.teamheadlock.org for info on what the wrestling biz is doing to help feed hungry children. A part of every bottle sold of JR's products @InglesAdvantage Markets goes to Headlock on Hunger. "One one is hungry, nothing else matters."
The Mae Young Classic begins on the @WWENetwork on August 28 and consult listings for the starting times. I think that you will enjoy the competition and getting to learn more about the 32 women who represented 13 countries in this historic presentation that was broadcast by WWE HOFers @AmyDumas aka Lita on color and on backstage interviews by @Madusa_rocks aka Alundra Blayze. I genuinely loved this process and consider those six days in Orlando as some of my favorite pro wresting experiences in a long while. It's about time that women got a more fair shot at contributing within the pro wrestling business and in a more prominent role.
Subscribe for FREE to the Ross Report Podcast at Apple Podcasts and join me every week for a new audio show.
It's JimRossBBQ on Facebook and Instragram, if you're interested. Plus, the Q&A's here on the site are updated.
A Hero In Real Life
He's a Canadian with a long family history in the sport, but it's his Indian heritage that makes current WWE champion Jinder Mahal a game cha... Read More
- Painful Theater
- Ric Flair's Fiancee: 'Multiple Organ Problems,' Condition Critical
- Paralyzed pro-wrestling star says Disney trip left him in "dark place"
- Ric Flair's daughter shares update following WWE legend's hospitalization
An appreciation of Ric Flair by Dolph Ziggler
WWE Hall of Famer, Ric Flair, is facing a serious health battle, and his manager has asked for prayers and positive energy. L... Read More
- Compound Pro Wrestling Review (8-12-17)
- JR's Blog: 'NAITCH'..Okada-Omega vs Flair-Steamboat..@HeymanHustle in NYC..KANE to Ross Report podcast..
- The Scoop
- JR's Blog: RINGSIDE @DCImprov This Thursday Night! Schiavone to Ross Report, JR/King to Icons of Wrestling Sat in Philly, SlobberKnocker Audio Book, @HeymanHustle
GFW's Gail Kim On The Twilight Of Her Career, Sparking The Women's Wrestling Revolution
Long before the term “women’s revolution” became fashionable, Gail Kim wa... Read More
- Interview with Ryan Davidson
- Interview with Shawn Hendrix
- Interview with Terrale Tempo
- Al Snow: exclusive interview with the wrestling legend
Spotlight in History
- 1982 Mike Sharpe, Jr. def. Killer Khan for the MSW Louisiana Champion
- 2001 Dexter Hardaway def. Grenade for the OPW Oklahoma Light Heavyweight Champion
Week of Sun 08-13 to Sat: 08-19
- 08-13 1984 Jake Roberts def. Chris Adams for the WCCW Television Champion
- 08-13 2005 The Forsaken (Michael Faith & Halo) became the TPW Tag Team Champions
- 08-13 2005 The Canadian Red Devil became the TPW Light Heavyweight Champion
- 08-13 2016 The Midnight Riders (The Midnight Rider & The Unknown) def. The Real Men In Black (Running Wolf & Rolling Thunder) for the NAW Tag Team Champions
- 08-14 2009 Li'l Joe def. Jermaine Johnson for the GPCW Wichita Mountains Champion
- 08-14 2010 Shane Morbid def. Richie Adams for the ComPro Heavyweight Champion
- 08-14 2010 The Jet Setters (Dustin Heritage & Jack Legacy) def. Legion 13 (Dutch Hagen & Jesus Rodriguez) for the ComPro Tag Team Champions
- 08-14 2010 Se7en def. The Canadian Luchadore for the ComPro Oklahoma X Division Champion
- 08-14 2010 Michael Barry def. Evan Newcastle for the ComPro Showtime Champion
- 08-14 2010 J. R. Orullian became the NCW North American Champion
- 08-14 2010 David Kyzer def. Kareem Sadat for the SWCW Hardcore Champion
- 08-14 2010 Kareem Sadat def. David Kyzer for the SWCW Hardcore Champion
- 08-14 2010 Gene Valdez def. Kidd Riggs for the XMW Universal Champion
- 08-15 1969 Alberto Torres & Ramon Torres def. The Medics for the TSW United States Tag Team Champion
- 08-15 1978 Ernie Ladd def. Paul Orndorff for the TSW North American Champion
- 08-15 2004 Brandon Bishop became the ACW Heavyweight Champion
- 08-15 2009 Steve Williams def. Franco D'Angelo for the ACW Heavyweight Champion
- 08-15 2014 Jerome Daniels def. Dane Griffin for the NWA-TXO Heavyweight Champion
- 08-16 1969 Danny Hodge def. Chuck Karbo for the TSW North American Champion
- 08-16 1977 Porkchop Cash & Mike George def. The Medics for the TSW United States Tag Team Champion
- 08-16 2013 The Rock Star Mafia (Dane Griffin & Armani) def. Team ATM (Jerome Daniels & Big Tex) for the NWA-TXO Tag Team Champions
- 08-17 2002 Russelina the Ballerina/Manservant became the OCW Oklahoma Womens Champion
- 08-18 1982 Mike Sharpe, Jr. def. Killer Khan for the MSW Louisiana Champion
- 08-18 2001 Dexter Hardaway def. Grenade for the OPW Oklahoma Light Heavyweight Champion
- 08-19 2002 Se7en became the ACW Heavyweight Champion
- 08-19 2002 HIMM became the ACW Hardcore Champion
- 08-19 2007 Talon def. Lady Venom for the SWCW Womens Champion
- 08-19 2007 Striker def. Rick Garrett for the SWCW Heavyweight Champion
- Mitch Baxter Aug 18th Today!
- Anthony Jackson Aug 18th Today!
- Percy Watson Aug 19th
- Tim Horner Aug 19th
- Mr. Big Aug 19th
- Treacherous Phillips Aug 19th
- Chiquita Suzuki Aug 20th
- Buster Cherry Aug 20th
- Cade Sydal Aug 20th
- Jack Barnes Aug 20th
- Judy Grable Aug 21st
- Ray Rowe Aug 21st
- Duncan Kincaid Aug 21st
- Jordan Jacobs Aug 22nd
- Matt Durden Aug 22nd
- Pat O'Connor Aug 22nd
- Ozzy Hendrix Aug 22nd
- Corey Olis Aug 23rd
- Alex Royal Aug 23rd
- Trey Christian Aug 23rd
- Jack Legacy Aug 23rd
- Randy Price Aug 24th
- Grappler Aug 25th
- D. A. Aug 25th
- Bobby Shane Aug 25th
- Gary Young Aug 26th
- K. C. Aug 26th
- J. C. Aug 26th
- Maverick Aug 26th
- Samuel Savage Aug 27th
- Michael Faith Aug 27th
- Jeremy Evans Aug 27th
- Sgt. Slaughter Aug 27th
- Assassin Aug 28th
- Brittany Foxx Aug 28th
- Jack Jameson Aug 28th
- Joey Steiner Aug 29th
- Angel Blue Aug 30th
- Blade [1st] Aug 30th
- Tom Donovan Aug 30th
- Ragin Cajun Aug 30th
- Sam Helton Aug 31st
- Brad Michaels Aug 31st
- Mickie James Aug 31st
- Aaron Anders Aug 31st
Most Active Members
- Michael York
- The Mayne Event
Which fed's tag team title did Texas Inc. (Tim Rockwell & Bernard Funk) win first?